Popular Posts

My Blog List

Powered By Blogger

"My Spiritual Journey"

"My Spiritual Journey"

Search This Blog

Pages

Pageviews past week

Monday, May 2, 2011

NOW LEARN A PARABLE OF THE FIG TREE...(1)

 NOW LEARN A PARABLE OF THE FIG TREE...PART 1.


Please read along with me and we shall learn a parable of the fig tree together... 

First of all what is a parable

Definition: "At its simplest a parable is a metaphor or simile  drawn from nature or common life,  arresting the hearer by its vividness or strangeness,  and leaving the mind in sufficient doubt about its precise application  to tease it into active thought." (C. H. Dodd, The Parables of the Kingdom, New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1961, p. 5)
 PARABLE...παραβολή
The New Testament Greek Lexicon
 Strong's Number:  3850 encodedOriginalWord
Original WordWord Origin
παραβολή from (3846)

A parable is comparing, comparison of one thing with another, likeness, similitude an example by which a doctrine or precept is illustrated a narrative, fictitious but agreeable to the laws and usages of human life, by which either the duties of men or the things of God, particularly the nature and history of God's kingdom are figuratively portrayed.
 I LIKE THIS DEFINITION...
  • a parable: an earthly story with a heavenly meaning 


  • NEVER ASSUME, I have learned this the hard way! THE MEANING OF ASSUME: MAKE AN ASS OUT OF U AND ME! ASSUME! WE MUST WORK AT IT!

    2 Timothy 2:15 (King James Version)15Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

    So the meaning of most parables is not so obvious, Right? A challenging study for sure, we must think carefully to find out its real meaning.

    This parables does not define things precisely, but rather use compares a Tree and Figs to describe some aspect of how God acts or interacts with human beings. Yet to say "A is like B" does not mean that "A is identical to B in all respects"; so we will be careful not to misinterpret or misapply the parables.
      Lets move on shall we...read along with me...:)
      We are told to LEARN a parable, that means we can!!! Let us read and learn it together...:)

      Matthew 24:32-34 (King James Version)

       32Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh: 

      (MINE)...I understand, "Now learn a parable of the fig tree", We Are To Learn It, RIGHT? OK then, we know what a parable is. A parable is comparisons to describe some aspect of how God acts or interacts with human beings.

      Our first question to our Beloved Teacher The Lord Jesus Christ is this. LORD, What do you mean, "THE FIG TREE?" WHO, WHAT, WHEN, WHERE, WHY AND HOW? "THE FIG TREE!" 
      The Fig Tree defined in our Bibles:
      BIBLICAL REFERENCES - THE FIG TREE
      There are approximately 30 references to The Fig tree in the Bible (depending on the translation) and approximately 50 references to a vine. Some are literal and some metaphorical. Let us stay focused on "THE FIG TREE," These are in the Gospels:
      • The cursing of the barren fig tree by Jesus (Matthew 21:18-22), (Mark 11)
      • The parable of the barren fig tree (Luke 13:6-9)
      • The parable of the budding fig tree (Mar 13:28-29), (Mat 24:32-33), (Luke 21:29-31)
      • In chapter 15 of the gospel of John, Jesus says he is 'the vine'.
      • There are also references to 'the vineyard' in the Old Testament, believed to be related to Israel in the prophesies of Isaiah.[7]
      To understand in context the 'withering of the fig tree' it is important to see if Jesus' teaching elsewhere follows similar themes. We read in John 15 that Jesus says he is the true vine. (MINE)..If Jesus is the TRUE VINE then Who Is The Tree that the Vine comes from? Always asking...always seeking...always praying...

      John 15 (King James Version)

      John 15

       1I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman.
       2Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit.
       3Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you.
       4Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.
       5I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
       6If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.
       7If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.
       8Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.
       9As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love.
       10If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.
       11These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full.
       12This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.
       13Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
       14Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.
       15Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.
       16Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.
       17These things I command you, that ye love one another.
       18If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you.
       19If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.
       20Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also.
       21But all these things will they do unto you for my name's sake, because they know not him that sent me.
       22If I had not come and spoken unto them, they had not had sin: but now they have no cloak for their sin.
       23He that hateth me hateth my Father also.
       24If I had not done among them the works which none other man did, they had not had sin: but now have they both seen and hated both me and my Father.
       25But this cometh to pass, that the word might be fulfilled that is written in their law, They hated me without a cause.
       26But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:
       27And ye also shall bear witness, because ye have been with me from the beginning.

      John 15:6 (King James Version)


       6If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.

      .[8] The mainstream Christian view on Jesus' miracle was that Jesus was teaching the disciples that although Israel was God's chosen people (Israel was commonly represented by the fig tree [9]), if Israel or any other claim to be of Christ (or have spiritual life) yet do not keep his commandments (as Christ says this is the sign of his followers),[10] then they shall not have salvation.(MINE) OMG!!![11] Many Christians believe that this miracle of Jesus echoes the words of the prophet Isaiah who prophesied the rejection of Israel [12] as having special spiritual significance. Isaiah says the reason for this withering or rejection is Israel's continual disobedience. The prophet Jeremiah refers to Israel as a choice vine planted by God[13] which has turned against her creator to become a 'corrupt wild vine'. Jeremiah also describes a vision of good and bad figs representing people of Judah conquered by Babylon, those good eventually returning to Jerusalem, those bad being exiled and punished in nations of the earth.[14]
      Some say that Jesus responded harshly in such action (as the above mentioned Bertrand Russell). The significance of not bearing spiritual fruit means that a branch or plant is spiritually dead and must be cut off.[15] This may be considered in a context of the Biblical definition of spiritual fruit as love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.[16] As understood here, to have such fruit we must be grafted onto Christ, the true vine.[17]
      The apostle Paul seeks to clarify the issue in Romans 11,[18] correcting those who believed that Israel was rejected forever. There is difference of opinion about what Paul is actually referring to when he says 'all Israel will be saved'.[19] Dispensationalist theology maintains that Israel will be restored politically and spiritually as the people of God. Reformed theology teaches that Israel is representative of all of God's children in Christ and includes those whom Paul referred to as having been 'grafted in'.[20] These differences of interpretation reflect differing views of eschatology. A example of a popular dispensationalist theologian is Cyrus Scofield, while the views of Matthew Henry are those of a reformed theologian.
      Matthew Henry comments on the Matthew 21 and Mark 11 passages but does not refer one to another, suggesting he thought they were two separate events
      ... Christ looked to find some fruit, for the time of gathering figs, though it was near, was not yet come; but he found none. He made this fig-tree an example, not to the trees, but to the men of that generation. It was a figure of the doom upon the Jewish church, to which he came seeking fruit, but found none...The disciples could not think why that fig-tree should so soon wither away; but all wither who reject Christ; it represented the state of the Jewish church. We should rest in no religion that does not make us fruitful in good works...".[21
      So let us continue to read...

      Hosea 9:10 (King James Version)


       10I found Israel like grapes in the wilderness; I saw your fathers as the firstripe in the fig tree at her first time: but they went to Baalpeor, and separated themselves unto that shame; and their abominations were according as they loved.

      Joel 1:7 (King James Version)


       7He hath laid my vine waste, and barked my fig tree: he hath made it clean bare, and cast it away; the branches thereof are made white.



      Jeremiah 24:1-6 (King James Version)

      Jeremiah 24

       1The LORD shewed me, and, behold, two baskets of figs were set before the temple of the LORD, (MINE)...WHERE IS THE TEMLE OF THE LORD? "ISRAEL."after that Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon had carried away captive Jeconiah the son of Jehoiakim king of Judah, and the princes of Judah, with the carpenters and smiths, from Jerusalem, and had brought them to Babylon.
       2One basket had very good figs, even like the figs that are first ripe: and the other basket had very naughty figs, which could not be eaten, they were so bad.
       3Then said the LORD unto me, What seest thou, Jeremiah? And I said, Figs; the good figs, very good; and the evil, very evil, that cannot be eaten, they are so evil.
       4Again the word of the LORD came unto me, saying,
       5Thus saith the LORD, the God of Israel; Like these good figs, so will I acknowledge them that are carried away captive of Judah, whom I have sent out of this place into the land of the Chaldeans for their good.
       6For I will set mine eyes upon them for good, and I will bring them again to this land: and I will build them, and not pull them down; and I will plant them, and not pluck them up.(MINE)...ISRAEL IS BORN 1948.
      We will continue here next time...GRACE ABOUND!!!
      33So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors.
       34Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.


      No comments:

      Post a Comment