Popular Posts

My Blog List

Powered By Blogger

"My Spiritual Journey"

"My Spiritual Journey"

Search This Blog

Pages

Pageviews past week

Friday, April 1, 2011

IS ONE SIN WORSE THAN ANOTHER?

IS ONE SIN WORSE THAN ANOTHER SIN?


Let us find out together...Please read along with me...

Remember SIN IS REBELLION/ RESISTANCE TO THE SUPREME AUTHORITY OF GOD AND HIS LAW!. When we choose to break Gods Laws it is REBELLION!

Sin, in religion,is an act that violates a known moral rule. The term sin may also refer to the state of having committed such a violation. Commonly, the moral code of conduct is decreed by a divine entity, i.e. divine law. Sin may also refer to refraining from action or simply desiring to act in violation of a moral norm. Fundamentally, sin is rebellion against, or resistance to, the direction of supreme authority, and enmity or hatred of the good. toward, avoidance of, [citation needed] Sin may also refer to something within human nature that has a proclivity to sin (see concupiscence).
Sin is often used to mean an action that is prohibited or considered wrong. In some religions (notably in Christianity), sin can refer not only to physical actions taken, but also to thoughts and internalized motivations and feelings. Colloquially, any thought, word, or act considered immoral, selfish, shameful, harmful, or alienating might be termed "sinful".
An elementary concept of "sin" concerns acts and elements of mundane earthly living that one cannot take into transcendental living. Food, for example, while a necessary good for the (health of the temporal) body, is not of (eternal) transcendental living and therefore its excessive savoring is considered a sin.[citation needed] A more developed concept of "sin" deals with a distinction between destructive (deadly) sins (mortal sin) and the merely dishonourable (harmful) sins of careless human living (venial sin) frequently tolerated by societies as a whole, or even encouraged by various cultures (e.g. those college fraternities and sororities notorious for their parties). In that context, mortal sins (sacrilege, murder, mortal violence, devastating calumny, hatred) are said to have the dire consequence of mortal penalty, while sins of careless living (gluttony, casual or informal sexuality, constant play, inebriation, gambling) have been philosophically regarded by some as essential spiceobesity, drunkenness, vagrancy, infidelity, child abandonment, criminal negligence). See Asceticism, Stoic philosophy, Epicurean philosophy, and Hedonism.

It matters not the SIN committed for,

Romans 6:23


 23For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Romans 7:7-25


 7What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.
 8But sin, taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence. For without the law sin was dead.
 9For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.
 10And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death.
 11For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me.
 12Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good.
 13Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid. But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful.
 14For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.
 15For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.
 16If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.
 17Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
 18For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.
 19For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.
 20Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
 21I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.
 22For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:
 23But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
 24O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
 25I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.


So then is Homosexuality worse than Adultery or Murder worse than Stealing?

Are there greater and lesser sins, and punishments for sin?


In John 19:11, this verse talks about a greater sin. Does this mean there are greater and lesser sins? Are there greater or lesser punishments for sin?
In are these verses saying there will be greater degrees of punishment for those leaving Christ and going back into the world and a lesser degree for those having never known the way of truth?
We really have two questions under consideration. First, are there greater and lesser degrees of sin? Second, are there greater and lesser degrees of punishment for sin? Let's deal with the first question, then the second. In John 19:11 we read, "Jesus answered, Thou couldest have no power at all against me, except it were given thee from above: therefore he that delivered me unto thee hath the greater sin." By the phrase "greater sin" do the scriptures imply that any one sin is worse than another is? Can one sin condemn a person more than another sin? Are some sins less harmful than others are?
The Bible clearly teaches that it is sin that separates man from God regardless what kind it is. Isaiah 59:2 says that sin separates man from God. Romans 6:23 says that the wages of sin is death. The example of Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden clearly illustrate to us that sin results in separation from God. It does not matter what kind of sin it is. It does not matter whether it is a big or a small sin. My mother used to tell me that the smallest lie would condemn one to hell just as easy as murder. She was, and is right. God will not look upon a little sin and say, "Well, I suppose no real harm was done, so you don't need to worry about it." God simply cannot do this. Our God is a holy and righteous God and there is no sin that can be committed that he will accept. As soon as that sin is committed, we are condemned. In this sense, there is no such thing as a little sin or a big sin. Regardless the size or extent of the sin, they are equally harmful in that they separate us from God.
While all sin results in separation from God or condemnation, not all sins have the same consequences. Some sins are less consequential than others are. For example, one may sin by making an illegal U-turn. While there may be consequences to this, we all recognize that it is not as consequential as the sin of murder. There are definite consequences associated with murder. There are consequences associated with an illegal U-turn. These are two different sets of consequences. One has greater consequences than the other does. The Old Testament recognizes this principle under the Old Law. There are different punishments given for different types of transgressions. Leviticus 24:20, 21 sets forth this principle. "Breach for breach, eye for eye, tooth for tooth: as he hath caused a blemish in a man, so shall it be done to him again. And he that killeth a beast, he shall restore it: and he that killeth a man, he shall be put to death." We only cite this verse to show that there are some crimes that are less consequential than others, and the principle of the punishment fitting the crime shows this to be true.
There is also a sense in which our sins are not as great due to our participation or involvement. For example in 2 Samuel 11 we have recorded the murder of Uriah the Hittite by David. There were others who were involved in this murder as well, yet David was the instigator. Each was still guilty of sin, but to a lesser degree given the different roles and levels of knowledge. Our laws today recognize this as well. We hold all participants guilty, but there are different punishments associated with different activities. If a person is merely an accessory to a crime he will receive less punishment than the instigator. Notice that this does not hold anyone less guilty of the crime. However less involvement merits less punishment. This is likely the sense of which Pilate was guilty of lesser sin because his involvement was not one of instigation, but of accessory.
Of course, the whole question of greater or lesser sins raises the issue of greater or lesser punishment in eternity and that is the second question posed. If there are indeed greater and lesser sins, are there greater and lesser punishments given for sin in eternity? The Bible does seem to indicate that there will be different levels of punishment in hell. Several passages stand out in this regard. In Luke 12:47, 48 at the conclusion of the parable of the faithful steward, we read, "And that servant, which knew his lord’s will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes. But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more." The principle being taught here is that the person who understands more regarding God's will and yet does not take warning will be held more accountable than the person who does not know. Both are held accountable; both will be separated from God; both will be punished. However, one will be punished more than the other.
Another good passage that illustrates this point and mentioned by one of the questioners is 2 Peter 2:20-21. Here we read, "For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning. For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them." The Christian who knows what is right and wrong and yet, turns back to the things of the world is going to end up in a worse state than the person who never knew the way of righteousness. Both are still lost. Both are still separated from God, but one will be punished more than the other will. God is infinitely just and no one is going to be punished beyond what they deserve.
Having said that, allow me to call your attention to the following warning: we should not think that Hell might be a place that is tolerable if we just don't sin very much. Hell is not going to be a place that you want to be. It is a place where punishment is reserved for the Devil and his angels ( Matt. 25:41). It is a place of darkness ( Matt. 22:13). It is a place where the unrighteous will dwell (25:30). It is a place of everlasting agony ( Matt. 22:13). Some will not suffer as much as others due to their sin, but even the least bit of suffering in hell will be bad enough. Merely eternal separation from God himself would be unthinkable. You don't want to miss being with God in eternity.




 God Have Mercy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment